The power of scent is truly amazing. Think about it. How many times have you been in the kitchen baking something (cookies perhaps) only to have the scent take you back to a time in your childhood where you felt safe and warm? Or taken a soothing bath with lavender scented bath salts and emerged feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
Essential oils are one of the most concentrated forms of scent available as they contain the “essence” of the plant. Distilled from herbs, flowers, leaves, roots, and other plant material, they have been used for centuries because of the impact they have on your well-being. Just like the herbal tea blend featured on the blog last month, essential oils can be used to protect your spiritual health and enhance your spiritual journey as well.
These are a few of the essential oils I recommend for your spiritual journey that will open up your mind and body, allowing you connect to the world on a deeper level:
- Frankincense: During the Biblical times, Frankincense was considered to be more valuable than gold. It is a great oil to help calm and ground your energy (plus it helps to support a healthy immune system), protecting yourself from negative influences.
- Lavender: Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils out there for its relaxing properties. By relaxing your mind and letting go of stress, you are allowing yourself to open up and become receptive to what messages you may be receiving.
- Bergamot (or other citrus): There is something so bright and happy about citrus-based essential oils. They allow you to connect with happiness and joy. It is a very uplifting scent that allows us to trust the universe and ourselves.
- Sandalwood: Just as many individuals have burned sandalwood incense in their homes for centuries to create a spiritual atmosphere, sandalwood essential oil has the same effect on helping your relax and focus. Sandalwood helps to elevate your consciousness into a higher realm so that you are more responsive to receiving guidance.
- Myrrh: An essential oil similar to Frankincense, Myrrh provides powerful antioxidant support. It has a warm and woody aroma that helps to release fears and allows us to be more accepting and non-judgmental of ourselves.
Each oil can be used individually but when you combine essential oils into blends, their properties only become enhanced and more beneficial. The blend featured below is a basic blend that is perfect for anyone wishing to incorporate the benefits of essential oils into their life.
Spiritual Health Blend
- 3 drops Bergamot
- 2 drops Frankincense
- 2 drops Lavender
Simply combine the oils in your diffuser or into a roller ball (If you are wanting to apply it to the skin). If you are applying it topically, please make sure to dilute your oils using a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil. Keep in mind that some citrus-based essential oils will increase your sensitivity to the sun. When using a photo-sensitizing oil, wait a minimum of six hours before exposing skin to UV rays.
Disclaimer: For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using herbal products, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications.