What's the difference between Psychics and Mediums?
Psychic mediumship is a practice that has been around for centuries. Only recently has it started to gained mainstream media attention. Not many realize there is a difference between psychics and mediums. For anyone curious about exploring this world, it is important you understand the difference between a psychic and a medium.
What is a psychic?
A psychic is a person who has the ability to perceive information beyond the normal range of human senses. Psychics may use various tools to tap into this perceived ability, such as reading a person’s aura, using spiritual tools like tarot cards or crystal balls, or simply relying on their intuition or “psychic senses”. Psychics often focus on areas of life such a love, relationships, careers, financial situations, travel and possible future outcomes. It’s important to note readings from a psychic should be received as possible outcomes and knowing that you always have free will to make the final decision on any guidance received.
What is a medium?
A medium is a person who has the ability to communicate with spirits and our passed loved ones. They are often known to bridge the spiritual world and physical worlds helping those on earth find closure in losing a loved one. Through their connection, they are able to bring through messages, insight and guidance for individuals seeking to communicate with a loved one who has passed away. Mediums also have the ability to connect with angels, spirit guides and animal guides.
There are different types of mediumship including evidential (or mental) mediumship, trance mediumship and physical mediumship.
- Evidential mediumship involves a medium receiving evidence using their own inner voice and thoughts as they connect with spirit and share messages with the individual seeking a reading.
- Trance mediumship involves a medium entering into a trance state during which spirit is known to take over their body and communicate directly with the living.
- Physical mediumship involves the manifestation of phenomena such a levitation which an object appears to be floating or rising in the air without any force and support.
One of the most common misconceptions about psychic mediumship is that it is a form of magic or sorcery. In reality, psychic mediumship is a natural ability that some people possess. It is not something that can be learned or acquired through training, although there are courses and classes available for those who wish to understand and develop their abilities.
Another misconception is that all psychic mediums are the same. This is not true. While they might all be able to connect to the other side, some might have a stronger connection to spirit and seeing while other might feel a stronger connect to feeling into the energy of individual receiving the message.
Finally, the last big misconception is that a psychic medium can connect with every spirit they encounter. This is not true. Not all mediums have the ability to communicate with every spirit they encounter. Sometimes, the spirit may not be willing or able to communicate or the frequency of the medium doesn’t align with the spirit to create a connection.
Preparing for a Reading
Here are a few tips as you prepare for a reading with a psychic medium.
- Come with an open heart and open mind. Realize spirit is going to communicate on their terms and we must trust that.
- Do you research and follow your gut (aka your intuition) when it comes to booking a session with a psychic medium.
- Set an intention. Clarifying your intentions can help you focus any questions you may have and get the most out of your session.
- Be respectful to the boundaries the psychic medium might have. For example; they might have a boundary where they don’t ask or answer questions about health or death.
Psychic mediumship can be a powerful tool for healing and growth. By connecting with the spirits of loved ones who have passed, people are able to gain a sense of closure and healing that can help them move forward with their lives. It can also provide a sense of comfort and peace knowing that their loved ones are still with them, even if they are no longer physically present.
While psychic mediumship is a powerful and often misunderstood practice it is important to remember that psychic mediums are simply individuals who possess a natural ability to communicate with the spirit world. Through their work, they are able to provide comfort, closure, and healing to those who are seeking it.
Curious about exploring your gifts as a Psychic Medium. Check out this Intro to Mediumship course guided by Spiritual Medium Jenny Shanks.
You can learn more about Spiritual Medium Jenny Shanks by visiting here.