A few months ago, I purchased a copper water bottle, and I have to say, I absolutely love it. I came across an article a while back about drinking water out of a copper bottle first thing in the morning on an empty stomach helps to balance all three Doshas — Kapha, Vata, and Pitta. The idea is the water stored overnight in a copper bottle will ensure the proper functioning of vital organs and your metabolism. It’s said water, when stored in a copper bottle, it allows the Copper to gently leach into the water, providing it with all these amazing benefits.
Copper Water Benefits
There are many benefits to Copper, and Numerous studies have uncovered the positive effects of Copper on a person’s health. The U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has even determined Copper to be the only metal that kills bacteria and protects us from vulnerable health risks.
I recently started learning more about Ayurveda and discovered that in common India Ayurvedic tradition drinking vessels made of Copper is said to have many benefits.
- It helps to cleanse and detox your stomach allowing for proper waste elimination.
- Helps to regulate the functions of the liver and kidney ensuring proper nutrient absorption from food
- Reduces inflammation and helps to reduce disease and infection
- Balances all three doshas – Vata, Kapha, and Pitta
- Regulates blood pressure and reoxygenate blood
- Supports the body’s iron absorption
- Prevents aging by helping to produce new and healthy skin cells
- Copper aids the body’s absorption of iron, which plays a key role in fighting anemia.
- It has a powerful antioxidant property which helps to fight off free radicals
- Improve joint health with the properties known to strengthen the bone and immune system
Copper is necessary for the maintenance of many of our body systems, including the immune and digestive systems. On top of that, when you store water in a copper vessel for at least 8 hours, the copper ions dissolve in that water in small amounts, helping to kill harmful microbes, fungi, and bacteria. Copper’s sterilizing effects have shown to be effective against E. coli and S. aureus, two bacteria’s that are commonly found in our environment and can cause severe illnesses in our body.
Tips for drinking water from a Copper Bottle
You don’t need to drink water from a copper vessel all day long to get these benefits. Our bodies are 70% water. The best way to feel at your mental and physical peak is to stay hydrated.
- Drinking copper water twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening)
- It absorbs best when you consume it on an empty stomach
- Fill your copper water bottle up the night before, so it’s ready for you first thing in the morning.
- If you have a copper water bottle, you can choose to carry it all day and refill it regularly. It’s not going to affect your health, and the copper bottle will continue to keep your water fresh and free of bacteria throughout the day.
- You ARE going to want to try and avoid leaving acidic materials in your copper water bottle (like lime or lemon) for extended periods of time however, as it may cause an excess of Copper to leach into your water.
- You can keep this copper water for longer periods, as it will not become stale.
Purchasing a Copper Water Bottle
When purchasing a copper water bottle make sure you are purchasing a real copper product from a reputable seller. Don’t just buy the cheapest one on the market or the prettiest one just because you like it. Do a little research into who you are buying from. Here’s the bottle I have purchased and use daily.
I love drinking my Copper water first thing in the morning as I ground myself for the day ahead. Enjoy these grounding tips!
Please Note: Jenny Shanks is not a medical professional. We recommend you consult your physician before making any changes to your current lifestyle.
In case you are concerned about drinking from a copper water bottle, please know that the World Health Organization concludes it is safe for the body to consume up to 2.6 mg/liter of copper-infused water a day.